Sunday, February 1, 2009

Early Pregnancy and "Morning Sickness"


Some have it in the morning, or the midday or the evening. Others have it all day long. Why is it that women have this nauseousness that turns their world inside out when it should be the beginnings of joy for this new life inside?

I, too, have been sick, but having not thrown up except once with each girl (that's 3 times for 7 pregnancies UPDATED JUNE 2009: still only 3 times for 8 pregnancies), I think I may have an answer for you.

1. Eating a better diet will supply nutrients needed. You're newly pregnant body needs 75 to 100 grams of protein per day.

Not in cheese or milk only, or even steaks, but in even complex carbohydrates like beans. I personally cannot eat that much beef or even think of cooking that many meals when I feel nauseous. Here's a quick list of protein that you can use:

Tuna
~Tuna Salad Sandwiches
~Tuna with a Salad

Chicken
~There are about a zillion recipes and ideas online, I think I can skip here

Beef
~Hamburgers
~Tacos
~Chili
~Topping for a baked potatoe

Peanut Butter
~Mixed with honey and oats as a frozen cookie

Beans
~Burritos (which have been on my mind lately)
~Chili
~3 Bean Salad (or 5 or more varieties)

Nuts
~Walnuts (high in protein and Omega-3 essential fatty acids)
~Brazil Nuts (high in essential selenium)

These are just a very few suggestions, since I'm drawing a blank.

2. Another missing nutrient is B6. It is essential in protein metabolism. If you do not supplement, it is highly unlikely that you getting enough from your foods.

Also, if you do not take a bioavailable iron suppliment, then you are risking problems up to and including convulsions.

Here are a few:
~Dried Apricots, Prunes and Raisins (listed in effective order)
~Beans
~Organic Black Strap Molasses

Molasses is also high in B12, B6 and B1 as well as Calcium, Potassium and Magnesium. Very good for an expectant mother!

Doing these two things I've almost completely wiped out the "all day" sickness for me. It's not good genes or genetics or that I am something special, it's that I've done the research and have found the answer so I don't have to throw up or be nauseous during my first 2 trimesters. I also eat every 2 hours almost around the clock. Some days when I feel bad, I may have waited too long and gone 3 hours without eating, but I don't make that mistake often. I hate feeling nauseous or even worse throwing up! I HATE it!!

So, if you want to try not being sick, you can do these simple, simple things. Or you can rest in the fact that you're just pregnant like any woman and it's something you must "suffer" through, like labor pains-but that's for another article at another time!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you supplement with B6 or do you just eat foods high in B6?

BellaMama said...

I do supplement with B6 AND eat foods high in B6 whether I'm expecting or not. Beans, nuts and seeds, green leafy vegetables and as I mentioned molasses are all high in B6 and other B vitamins. There are some B vitamins in beef as well, and is good to have for added protein, but then you must add vegetables (insoluble/soluble fibers) to avoid constipation. Contrary to popular belief, there are high B vitamins in Whole Wheat. Bread from the store is limited in its nutrients, but you are able to maximize your nutrition level by making it at home, unless you are able to get it at a natural bread bakery.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your reply....I would like to have another baby but I'm dreading the thought of morning sickness...especially since I will be very busy with my 5 other chidren. The morning sickness I had with my last pregnancy was tough. I never threw up but had alot of dry heaves and nausea for the first 4 months.I struggled with digestive issues the rest of the time.
I had a rought time eating meat as well with that pregnancy...so I ate alot of eggs for protein, cheese, and whole milk yogurt and gluten free grains. I gained 20# and weighed 134# at delivery. I'm 5'6". I don't think that's enough. Although my daughter was healthy weighing 7#5oz. she has very bad teeth....alot of decay starting at 1 year old.

BellaMama said...

I did forget about beans. They're a great source of protein and complex carbohydrates. You seem to have the same symptoms as when I am expecting girls, but I just was a bit nauseous unless I was almost continually eating. I avoided meat til I was 6 or 7 month along.

If you do not take a supplement for calcium, you should consider it. Pretty much any "coral calcium" will help with baby's teeth. Also, if you are drinking anything with fluoride or using a toothpaste with fluoride, it will go to the baby and contrary to what dentists and the ADA say, it is a poison that slowly kills you.
Here's a link to what happens when you have fluoride.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H58EpAdnQN0

If you are feeding your baby (year old) formula, cereal or even juice (there are many that use fluoridated water)mixed with "nursery" water or faucet water, you'll be giving her fluoride. If you want to know some whole foods that would help, go to this site, it is extremely informative and can help you feed her the best you can!

http://www.westonaprice.org/

I hope this helps!

Anonymous said...

How much B6 did you take before and during your pregnancy? Was it B6 in a multivitamin or just B6 alone?

BellaMama said...

I took and take 100mg of a B6 vitamin per day. You MUST take B12 as well if you are lacking so much in the b vitamins. This was my personal trial and error amount and not a fix-it-all pill to take to make things better but not eat better/differently.
Here's a list of food that contains B6. Consider eating AT LEAST 2 CUPS of vegetables (if you were to squish it into a cup, not floating like a salad) per meal. When I do this, I have energy, stamina, and clear thinking to get me through the day with 7 children! It's also the only time I've been able to lose weight on a consistent basis. Should we have another baby, I hope to keep a better weight than with the other pregnancies. I usually gain 35-60 lbs and it just takes way too long to lose it & I also feel so "heavy" and no energy, etc. I don't have time for that, so I incorporate these vegetables and have the energy that I had after I had my first 2 children!
Let me know if this is helpful or if you have any other questions.

Anonymous said...

Thank you. I'm going to look into this. Wanting to do whatever possible to at least lessen morning sickness if we conceive again.